" />

Daniel I Russell - Writer of Horror Fiction


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Thursday, August 22, 2013

An intermission and word of advice...

As some of you know. a fortnight ago I completed the 12km City to Surf run in Busselton. A week after that I was trying to get into my regular training schedule, but my body was having none of it. My legs ached, and I just didn't have any energy. Unperturbed, I went out again this morning. Conditions were excellent.

However, I managed 3km and I'd had it. Again, sore legs and running on fumes. I stopped at the head of my street and was ready to call it a day.

Then I had a thought.

How about...no?

Before I could talk myself out of it, I turned around and carried on running. I managed another lap of town. While not my usual 10-12km circuit, 6 is better than 3.

Something that dawned on me while I was running is that I'm going to have to take my own similar advice as mentioned in part 1 of this guide I've been posting, and in a way, repeat this morning's run.

At the moment, and being honest, I'm not happy with the writing world. My latest work doesn't seem to be grabbing me the way it has before (but I have faith in the rewrite), a few other writers are taking great pleasure in the slightest of my failings (twats) and being in the middle of buying a house and having another son, writing seems to be pretty damn low on my list of priorities.

It would be sensible, and to some degree satisfying, to state right here and now that I'm on writing hiatus until these more important things are out of the way and things return to normal, and that absence might bring back the muse. My bitterness levels might lower. I could be writing with a smile on my face like the old days rather than a frown that the words on the page are utter shite. Yes. I'm sure that quitting writing for now is the best thing for all involved.

Or how about...no?

I think I might just turn around and try to do another lap, and if I can do it, so can you. Get writing, slacker!

Part 3 of the workshop, wherein Alex Chandon takes on Steven Spielberg, shall be arriving on this very page in about an hour. Need to grab a coffee and wash off this run stink first...

Posted by Daniel I. Russell :: 7:02 am :: 0 comments

Post a Comment

---------------oOo---------------