" />

Daniel I Russell - Writer of Horror Fiction


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Monday, February 14, 2011

Ditmar award rolecall


I remember last year's Ditmar Awards well. I hadn't been in Australia long enough for any of my works to be considered, but it was fun to be part of the process and read some of the works that had been nominated.

Last year, my reading list, and indeed voting list included:

Shane Jiraiya Cummings

Andrew J McKiernan

G. N. Braun

Marty Young

Stephen Clark at Tasmaniac Publications

Tracie McBride

Pete Kempshall

Morrigan Books

The BEST thing about the Ditmars and reading the above was that a year later, I still class the above as friends and respected members of the Australian horror community.

So let's look at this year and some of the work I'll be looking to consider.

NOVELLA:

"All the Clowns in Clowntown", Andrew J. McKiernan, in Macabre: A Journey Through Australia's Darkest Fears, Brimstone Press.

"Dark Heart Alley", Shane Jiraiya Cummings, in Macabre: A Journey Through Australia's Darkest Fears, Brimstone Press.

I'll probably have to consider a double vote on this one! Too tough to call.

SHORT STORY

"Brave Face", Pete Kempshall, in Andromeda Spaceways Inflight Magazine 46.

"Bubba Wants YOU!", G.N. Braun, in LegumeMan Books (website).

"Can't Stop Killing You", Russell B. Farr, in Macabre: A Journey Through Australia's Darkest Fears, Brimstone Press.

"crawlin' ", Martin Livings, in Macabre: A Journey Through Australia's Darkest Fears, Brimstone Press.

"Emergency Rebuild", David Conyers, in Andromeda Spaceways Inflight Magazine 43.

"Fairy Gothic", Tracie McBride, in, Andromeda Spaceways Inflight Magazine 43.

"Ghosts Under Glass", Tracie McBride, in Horror Library Vol 4: An Anthology of Terror, Cutting Block Press.

And I'm also interested in seeing some work by Marty Young, Simon Petrie, Peter M. Ball and Brett McBean in this category. The short story section is crazy long and going to be the hardest fought, I feel.

Best Collected Work:

Andromeda Spaceways Inflight Magazine, ASIM Collective, Andromeda Spaceways Publishing Co-Operative.

Aurealis, Stuart Mayne, Chimaera Publications.

Festive Fear 2: Global Edition, Stephen Clark, Tasmaniac Publications.

Macabre: A Journey Through Australia's Darkest Fears, Angela Challis and Marty Young, Brimstone Press.

Midnight Echo #4, Lee Battersby, Australian Horror Writers Association.

I like Aurealis, ASIM and ME...but then MACABRE is phenomonal...but then Festive Fear Global Edition is a standout...and I'm in it!

Best Artwork:

Cover art and internal illustrations, Andrew J McKiernan, for Andromeda Spaceways Inflight Magazine #46, ASIM collective

Internal illustrations, Andrew J. McKiernan, for Festive Fear 2, Tasmaniac Publications.

What can I say? The man has skills.

Fan Writer:

Matthew Tait, reviews in HorrorScope. (HorrorScope)

Shane Jiraiya Cummings, body of work including reviews and interviews in HorrorScope. (HorrorScope)

Two guys working hard at Horrorscope. I'm sure if one won it they'd split the award!

Check out the details here.

Personally, I AM in the Ditmars this year (yay! Like having a horse in the race...), with Samhane appearing in the novel category, By the Banks of the Nabarra from ASIM #43 in the short story category (although technically it's a novelette and should be in another category. Don't worry intrepid voters! An email has been sent...) and I think my best chance of scoring at least nomination, Best New Talent.

Sadly, It Comes but Once a Year from Festive Fear Global Edition, wherein a man ejaculates creatures nonstop, did not make an appearance. Funny that.

So if you're eligible to vote, please check out the above. I know I will be. And if you're featured on the Ditmar list but have been neglected from this blog post, either your work has not been read or come up on my radar. Feel free to shoot me an email at danielirussell@necrotictissue.com if I can get hold of anything quickly and cheaply (as in free). I'm always keen to meet new Australian writers!

And please, if you're going to vote for me (and I would be truly humbled. Just ask my partner. I humble easily) please try for the Best New Talent. You only get one chance! ;-)

Posted by Daniel I. Russell :: 7:15 pm :: 0 comments

Post a Comment

---------------oOo---------------