" />

Daniel I Russell - Writer of Horror Fiction


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Thursday, January 14, 2010

Uppers and downers


Happy...erm...Thursday everyone. If you live in the vicinity of Manji Towers, I hope you remembered to put your bin out.

As per the title of today's blog post, there's been a few good things, and a few bad things, happen of late. Let's do the bad stuff first so I can end on a high (hahahahahaaar!)

DOWNERS

We enter the vast, paperwork filled world of the visa, with us attempting to get my visa on a permanent basis. Many friends, family and work mates have stepped forwards to provide statements (thank you everyone!) and we actually have more evidence then we thought to support the application, which is good. It's just a ball ache! You need forms to get the bloody forms! A bureaucratic nightmare!

Which brings in questions about my health.

You need to pass a medical, and I'm having that TODAY right here in Manjimup. Oh dear. It involves a standard medical, chest x ray and blood test. Problem numero uno. Blood test. Needles come in at #2 on my list of fears (after great white sharks), and yes, I know you're thinking about my many tattoos, but that's different. The tattoo needle jabs the skin lightly, doesn't plunge in, penetrating the flesh, scratching the bone...

I haven't had a needle since I was a kid, and I always descended rapidly into a land of hysterical violence. Will I be punching out our elderly doctor today? He's been stabbed in the past, so if I do, it shouldn't be too bad.

My chief concern is weight. I'm not humongous, but your mother in law saying you're getting a little big (thanks Kate) and the Wii Fit BITCH constantly belittling me, I fear this may come up at the medical. It's just after Christmas. I'll blame that.

And another thing with the Wii Fit. When your weight goes up, it asks you why, giving reasons that make it all your fault, such as I didn't exercise, I drank too much, I was snacking, etc. Where's the 'I think your scales are wrong' option? You think those brainy folks at Nintendo would have added all this. I just hope they don't make a dietry version. It would be the emotional wrecking ball of You Are What You Eat. Before you know, I'll be crying on my balance board and shitting in a tupperware container.

I've digressed as I always do.

What a fuck around if something does come up.

Doc: I'm sorry, Daniel. I can't support your visa application.

Me: (gutted) But why? I now have to leave my family and be deported!

Doc: You have lung cancer.

ME: (double gutted) So I'm dying AND have to leave my family?

Doc: Yes. And I wasn't going to say anything...but your zipper's open. Probably seems unimportant now.

Rest assured, I will let my small but loyal following know the outcome.

WITH GREAT POWER COMES GREAT RESPONSIBILITY. NO POWERS YET THOUGH. I CHECKED.

Medical further complicated by the little emergency (ha!) we had this week. I awoke on Tuesday with what I thought was a mosquito bite on my inner thigh, and very high up on my inner thigh (some extra details for the ladies there). I thought nothing of it until the next day, when it had formed a kind of purple and red fried egg shape on my skin, with a very painful marble-sized lump embedded in the flesh.

This is not a boat accident! And it wasn't any propeller, and it wasn't any coral reef, and it wasn't Jack the Ripper! It was a...white tail spider.

Google the bastards.

Thankfully, no necrosis. Just the painful lump and slight nausea. Hospital said just to keep an eye on it for the breakdown, weeping, blistering or ulcerating of the skin. Fun. Thinking of making it my new hobby.

We did find (we think) the perp, but with the bug spray, it curled up and died before we had a chance to match the bite marks.

ONE LITTLE PROBLEM. EASILY FIXABLE. GIVE ME TEN MINUTES...

Writing downers now. We had one of the resident supermodels catch the flu, and the Merc got a puncture.

Back to reality, twas the week of two rejections this week, good and bad. Whenever I get a rejection and try to place a humorous comment on Facebook about it, it's in the vain attempt of showing new/novice writers that us a little ways up the track get the same rejections as they do, and it's part and parcel of the gig. I always get comments back like this is my first rejection. I love 'em; they're very charming.

Anyway, the good rejection was for a short story and out of 256 subs, mine made the last 30, which isn't too bad in my eyes. Also got personal feedback. I hate it when the editor rejects a piece on what I think is the hook, but different strokes and all that. Story has again been subbed straight out.

Bad rejection was for a novel. Now, bear in mind the hours it takes to write a novel. Got that rough estimate in mind? Now...

They didn't like the plot. Thus, the subtitle. Easily fixable, yeah? I just need to REWRITE THE ENTIRE NOVEL!

Made me laugh. Ah well, that's what a few publishers said about Samhane, and that's out in print this year and the ebook got some great reviews. Time for me to do what I normally do: blow them a raspberry and move on.

UPPERS

Yay! We're on uppers!

Before I forget, Necrotic Tissue is currently at #6 in the Preditors and Editors poll. Think it deserves higher? (You should. The ones above it don't pay as much as us, nor look as good doing it). Here's the link:
http://www.critters.org/predpoll/

The contract for the now official novella, Come Into Darkness, has now been signed with Skullvines Press, and a few behind the scenes have been put in motion to get this out. Sorry that's all I can tell you at the moment. But it's good news, yes? Will be available in paperback and download editions.

The big news this week has come from Andromeda Spaceways Inflight Magazine, one of the top speculative fiction magazines here in Australia. It's been public knowledge for months that my story By the Banks of the Nabarra was to be featured in issue #43, but after an email from the editor, it is now...

THE FEATURED COVER STORY! WOO!

It won't be my ugly mug on the cover, but a scene from the story. Plus my name will be on there. Very nice. Can't wait to get this in my grimy hands!

The Forgotten passed the 80, 000 word mark a few days ago, so book 6 is now officially a novel in my eyes. Hope to get this finished very soon and then have the editing to look forward to (happy happy joy joy).

I think that's it (my energy is severely ebbed today). But at least I can feel a bit better about myself. This blog has about 560 followers and is read roughly 70-80 times a week. Not exactly Google, but good enough for me. I feel guilty when I don't add anything new.

Special thanks to the person who found my site by searching 'video horror dan sexy'. I hope you found all you wanted and more!

Till next time...

(Special thoughts going out to fellow writer W D Prescott, who is currently in hospital with severe health problems, We hope to see you on your feet and tapping away at a new short story soon, my friend)

Posted by Daniel I. Russell :: 9:02 am :: 1 comments

Post a Comment

---------------oOo---------------