" />

Daniel I Russell - Writer of Horror Fiction


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Do you do Voodoo?


INTERNATIONAL MAN OF MYSTERY (WRITING)

Willkommen in Deutschland, mein Freund!

This week saw an epic email land in the Manji Towers inbox. The editor of Voodoo Press, who release horror/thriller paperbacks in Germany and surrounding countries, contacted me with regards to some of my work, in particular a story for an upcoming anthology. After a bit of research and seeing this classy Rose Noire anthology, I agreed and things developed....

...leading to the sale of translation rights for BOTH Samhane and Come Into Darkness! I've visited Germany and lived with a great bunch of German exchange students during my time at uni. This country keeps cropping up in my life, and I'm over the moon that my books will be hitting the shelves over there. Contracts are signed and both books are now with the translator (a job I really don't envy) with tentative release dates of summer for Samhane and winter for Come Into Darkness. Up first will be the as yet untitled anthology, which will feature my clown/living doll story, Tricks, Mischief and Mayhem.

In addition news, I've also been asked to appear in a second German anthology, edited by the chairman of the German equivalent of the HWA. It's an honour to feel so...in demand (and that feels really weird and arrogant to say. Sorry folks).

And try getting a deal like this and not humming 99 Red Balloons. It simply won't happen.

BETTER SHAVE, 'COS THOSE PUBE WRECKING PERVERTS ARE HEADING TO VISIONCON!


Not only is the gross out fest Tabloid Terrors 3: Alien Perverts Wrecked My Pubes available to buy RIGHT NOW from www.skullvines.com, but the series creators Jerrod Balzer and SD Hintz are heading over to Visioncon in Springfield, Missouri with a whole stack of these soiled babies this weekend! I know that if you're going, it'll probably be for Brian Keene or Shane Moore, but please make the time to say hi to the Skullvines boys and check out the book. They might even sign it if you do something obscene.

And speaking of obscene, be sure to stay for SD Hintz in the gross out contest!

As for me, I'm in a galaxy far, far away and will not be attending. Instead, I shall sit and wait for my copies of Tabloid Terrors 1, 2 and 3 to arrive. That poor. poor post lady...


THE POST LADY


The post lady was not hunted down and killed by bikers as I feared the other week, Instead, she brought us this, a copy of Midnight Echo 3, produced by the Australian Horror Writers Association, details here: http://www.australianhorror.com/index.php?view=174

I've been writing for a good few years now. There's nothing worse then being featured in a magazine or antho, only to have the thing arrive and look like shit. It's heart breaking. Thankfully, this wasn't the case with ME3. My God, this is a good looking magazine.

Packed with dark fiction and poetry, you've also got a chunk of breathtaking graphic novel and an interview with a surrealist artist! I hope I don't sound like an infomercial here, but this magazine is just soooo good!

My ghost story, Living Haunts, is in there. I haven't read it for years, and it's better then I remember it! Woot!

AND NOW FOR SOMETHING COMPLETELY DIFFERENT

So what else has been going on at Manji Towers? The medical went smoothly (despite some...unpleasantness. I don't think I'll be able to look the doctor in the eye, or cough without shivering, again. The things I'm doing for this visa...). No real concerns, blood test and x ray fine, despite the receptionist on the phone asking if I want to 'discuss my HIV with the doctor'. EEP! Thankfully, she was referring to the test, not the diagnosis. Only thing that shocked the doctor was how blind I am without glasses/lenses!

Me: Do you think I have problems with my eye sight, doctor?
Him: I'm over here.

The money we saved having the medical done in Manji rather than Perth was put to good use. We hooked up the Wii to the internet and downloaded some classics: Zelda: Ocarina of Time and Super Street Fighter 2. I'm not one for spending hours in front of the TV playing games, but these really are a blast from my teenage past. The kids love 'em too.

AUTHOR'S NOTE: Hooking up the Wii should have been a piece of piss. I bought a LAN adapter and wired it all up...and it didn't work. Just as I was about to start throwing things, my good lady installed a wireless router in the lounge room and hooked up the Wii in minutes. Is my male pride hurt? To be honest...I don't care! We have Super Street Fighter 2! But thank you again, hunny. You definitely wear the pants.

FURTHER AUTHOR'S NOTE: If you're planning on leaving a comment to explain exactly why the LAN adapter didn't work...don't.

What else? Oh! I finally finished Under the Dome. Find my review over at www.goodreads.com, and add me if you're feeling fancy and friendly. Now back to the Masterton novel I'd been neglecting. Can I finish it before my Tabloid Terrors arrive?

NECROTIC TISSUE UPDATE

What are you writer guys on? We normally receive a rush of submissions days before the end of the month, when the submissions window closes. However, we're currently being deluged by stories at the moment! I wish my block of EMU beer would magically fill up like my editorial inbox! I love it reading through your submissions, and I'm glad that the majority of you take your rejections on the chin, or even take the time to thank us for the feedback. It means a lot.

Don't be too disheartened by a rejection. We're due to receive over a massive 500 submissions this month alone! That's a lot of reading, and R Scott, John and myself are working our arses off to maintain a good turnaround time. 500 stories...roughly 20 spaces in the magazine. Competition is stiff!

10 more days to get your submission in, all you dark fiction writers! www.necrotictissue.com.

The January issue is due out very, very soon. Never too late to order, or to subscribe. $20 for a year. That's four issues packed with dark fiction and horror. Did I mention we're number 5 in the fiction zine category in the Preditors and Editors poll?

See you all next week. I have a novel to finish, submissions to read and a Triforce to find...

Posted by Daniel I. Russell :: 6:46 pm :: 0 comments

Post a Comment

---------------oOo---------------