" />

Daniel I Russell - Writer of Horror Fiction


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Sunday, June 21, 2009

IS IT A BIRD? IS IT A PLANE? NO, IT'S...AMAZON?

IS IT A BIRD? IS IT A PLANE? NO, IT'S...AMAZON?

Remember the situation last week regarding Shutterbug? Here's what transpired...

After waiting a week for Wild Child Publishing to pull Shutterbug from the 3rd party sites, and getting nothing no reply, it was time to take matters into my own hands. Don't worry, friends, I'm not one for vigilante action! All the sites were selling through a site called Mobipocket, so it was this site that I contacted regarding the little problem. Mobipocket, as it turns out, is a subsidiary of Amazon. Obviously the book giant owns EVERYTHING! It's the Tesco of the publishing world (but does Tesco own Amazon?). Anyway, Amazon got back to me.

It was the publisher's responsibility to deal with this, however, as the book was being sold without rights or permission, the Amazon Legal Department stepped in. They removed the book from sale (yay!) and said they would take action should this happen again. Beware publishers! Amazon has a cavalry! It busts heads and takes names!

So I'm a happy bunny that I have Shutterbug back in full now. Convenient, as it looks like the new screenplay might be Shutterbug, for a film thriller or TV drama. My screenwriting colleague is currently reading the novella I believe, and drafting an outline. I'll hopefully have more information, and details about my screenplay magnifico, next week, should we sort out an agreement. Exciting times and looking forward to this one!

WHO SAID YOU NEED TOE SKIN TO BE A GREAT WRITER?

Last week, it was a personally signed copy of Mama's Boy by Fran Friel. This week, it's The Kult by my good friend, Shaun Jeffrey.

"To Dan" he writes "without whom this book would still be the masterpiece you see before you. In fact, without whom, it's probably better. Lol."

Funny bastard.

Joking aside, I started it this morning and I'm only about 13 pages in. I don't want to be writing this blog. Why? Because I want to get back to the sofa and read on! I stress over the opening chapter of my novels, but Shaun has hit it bang on. I'm hooked. It reads like Shaun Hutson - maybe its something about the name? - at his peak (although I havent reached a death scene yet. Fingers crossed for the same amount of torture and splatter!). Will post more about it next week. For now, here's the blurb:

People are predictable. That's what makes them easy to kill. Acting out of misguided loyalty to his friends, police officer Prosper Snow is goaded into helping them perform a copycat killing, but when the real killer comes after him, it’s not only his life on the line, but his family's too. Now if he goes to his colleagues for help, he risks being arrested for murder. If he doesn't, he risks being killed.

“With Kult, Shaun Jeffrey hits one out of the park with this creepy, character-driven thriller that starts with a jolt, stays in the fast lane, and plunges into the darkest territory of the human mind. It’s a bumpy ride through nightmare country.”
--Jonathan Maberry, multiple Bram Stoker Award-winning author of PATIENT ZERO and PUNISHER: NAKED KILL

Wet your appetite? http://www.leucrotapress.com/Jeffrey.html

A RECKLESS MISSUSE OF THE WRITTEN WORD

Workwise, this has got to be one of the most uplifting and 'artistically free' weeks I've had. Whilst normally the subtle traits of terror and how a reader relates to the characters are order of the day, that has all been thrown wantonly aside, for it's time to bring on the filth!

Mother's Boys (far from the cleanest novel) first round edits are now complete (do I hear a woot? Woot. Thank you kindly) and I'm now awaiting feedback before I tinker and sub. Publishers are already listed (but all further suggestions are welcome!). Most of the week has been spent on a Brian Rathbone short, Brian Rathbone: Seed of Evil. This is by far the most...soiled short story I've written, with copious amounts of a certain creamy bodily fluid spraying from between the words. You might need a box of Kleenex tissue ready for this one.

And finally, my desert of submissions has found an oasis. I got, well, an amber light to prepare a short for an upcoming anthology (secret details until it's a green light!). This will truly allow me to spread these cheap, dirty, fetid wings of mine. Think sex, violence, and lots of...

Hang on. Don't want to let the cat out of the bag. Start eating now, because when this story is written...it may be a while until you eat again!

HAS ANYONE SEEN THE WALKIN' DUDE?

We're approaching the middle of winter now. While this brings on the wealth of winter food (meat pie, mash and winter veggies. Hot sponge and custard! :P) it also brings...disease! Bad colds have swept through Manji Towers. It's like Stephen King's The Stand in here now, with the audio track of a doctor's waiting room. It's hard to write when you feel shitty and dribble snot on the keyboard.

But on the bright side, we felt the baby kick for the very first time this week! Sherie: "Now you believe me that I can feel it moving! I'm not crazy!". I have two step children who I count as my own, but this is my first child. It was a magical moment, and we can only get more and more of them. This is called the quickening, which makes me think of Highlander and a great album by my favourite band, The Vandals. Funny how the mind works!

Oh, and if you haven't had enough of my warblings this week (are you nuts?) then check out my ongoing interview at www.britishhorrornovels.proboards.com. It's the spin off discussion forum from the excellent Facebook group and is run by the nice guy who has quirks, Ian Woodhead. There's also on going interviews with Shaun 'skinned toes' Jeffrey, Rakie 'likes overgrown male dancers' Keig and Conrad '21 years like the Duracell bunny' Williams.

Till next week...

Posted by Daniel I. Russell :: 9:36 am :: 0 comments

Post a Comment

---------------oOo---------------